Monday, November 21, 2011

Commuting

Today, while I was begging for my dad to drive faster so we don't miss my train, I decided today's topic will be about commuting. I have made a pros and cons list based on my personal experiences. So go ahead and relate (or not...)

Pros:

- Amenities at home: free- home-cooked, healthy meals. The healthy is a big part as I've yet to encounter food at school which is as healthy as home.
 
- Don't get lonely: Assuming you don't mind your family and are not that great at making friends, like me, at home you'll always have someone to talk to.

- No residence distractions: Even if you don't live in a dorm, chances are you willing be sharing space with other students. This inevitably means parties, friends, loud noises etc that will keep you from your studies.

- Large, clean space: Compared to the dingy, unkempt and tiny areas you can afford near/on campus

- Privacy: This is aimed at the dorms. I really don't like the idea of sharing a bathroom with ten strangers.

- CHEAPER: biggest factor. Commuting only costs me around 250 dollars a month (excluding gas) whereas decent student housing can cost up to 1000-2000 dollars a month.

Cons:

- WASTE OF TIME: Everyday I have to spend 4 hours commuting. Everyday. 4 hours. That's like every month, I lose 5 days. >:(

- Family distractions: Unfortunately, family, while providing company, also creates distractions. They watch TV with high volume, come to talk to you, there are family events and they expect you to spend a lot of time with them.

- Less Independence: When at home, you live under your parents rules. You do not have the same freedom as you would having living close to campus.

- Follow others' schedules: I have to arrange when I will leave for school depending on my parents' work schedules. Its a hassle and another potential waste of time.

- Tiring and pointless: During my 4 hour commute, I am like a zombie. Virtually nothing gets done during those 4 hours. I can't concentrate on work. I can't relax and unwind..I'm too tense and this results in me spending time after my commute to unwind. I can read a book but only for 35 minutes maximum out of 2 hours. Commuting = 4 more hours I could have slept.

If you have anything to add, or feel like sharing, please do so.

P.S. If anyone knows any cheap off-campus places I could live near the University of Toronto - please share!! (I need my own bathroom though..big factor for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment